Saturday, March 29, 2008

1850248494_ceca78f7a7

issey miyake, yohji yamamoto and rei kawakubo lovers- you might just be a bit interested in this video. no sorry, it is not an interview of all three designers (though i wish!) i just came across this and thought i'd share- it's an interview of mary baskett, who is a collector of avante grande japanese fashion and she basically talks about what these people are doing or have done to change the fashion world and what it is that she finds so unique about their designs. She had an exhibition called where would you wear that? at the cincinnati art museum of her personal collection last year, but i missed it! i'm hitting myself on the head right now for missing such a thing. video is brief, but i enjoyed it. would you ever wear such pieces when stepping out your door?

2250677347_6d795e01b2

yohji post i did a while back, actually about a year ago! read if interested:
my latest designer obsession. a lot of the times i find his designs to be mystic, sexy and 'quiet', whatever that may mean. people have refered to him as just more than a fashion designer, he is a poet who brings his work of art onto the runway. his designs are not exactly the glamourous type, rarely seen on the red carpet or any other social event, you may even say that his work represents the exact opposite. one thing i love the most about him is his uniqueness that sets him so far apart from the others. i read an interview of him in visionaries and i was immediately intrigued. 'like a pendulum, real clothes and costume, yesterday and today. With my two hands, I have mixed the ridiculousness and absurdity of costume and the boringness of real clothes, like creating the salad dressing for nouvelle cuisune.' i'm not quite sure what he even means by that, but here's a segment of the interview that may be more understanding, 'where i was born,' yamamoto once told me, speaking so quietly that i had to strain to hear him, 'there were very many prostitutes. And they were wearing high heels and strong lipstick. And really, I was afraid. I was scared. Because they looked very, very wild. Very, very wild and scary. Not natural. And after I became a designer, i still have the same reaction to high heels and strong lipstick. I get very scared.' i guess that's one of the reasons why he tends to use flats and very mute makeup on the runways.


21 Comments:

Blogger riz said...

I ABSOLUETLY LOVE HER AND I LOVE THIS POST!! this is almost too far up my alley!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger ..... said...

i love it too !!! definitely a great interview

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic insight here...

3:01 AM  
Blogger Molly :] said...

hmm.. i hadnt seen much of her stuff so thanks for this!
The videos great too!
Link exchange?
:) x

7:17 AM  
Blogger maverickandlove said...

feel free to ask me question! haha here are the answers to yours:

1. i applied to RISD, LONDON COLLEGE OF FASHION, AND DREXEL UNIV. i could have applied to parsons and f.i.t., but i really wanted to leave new york. it important to chose a safety school, mine was drexel< meaning even if my work sucked- they would stilla ccept me.
2. Different colleges ask you for specific things in your portfolio. You should of coarse have at least 15 fashion illustration, 2-3 garments youve created, and art work (still- life, photographs, drawings)
3. schools have rubrics- RISD for example wants three specific drawings and parsons wants i believe 5.

i hope i helped you, and feel free to ask me more questions!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Tinsley said...

aw i cant see the video :(
but i love the picture!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

What an interesting reaction to lipstick and heels he has!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

wow this is so interesting
great find! It is so going in my favorites!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Sidsel said...

She is absolutely wonderful. I love the way she speaks about the clothes, like they are her relatives. And I think it's really brave to actually wear those clothes, since they are so different.
Oh, and in your last post, the shoot with Catherine McNeil is great. I normally think she's pretty bland, but this really brings out the best in her :)

8:51 AM  
Blogger e. jay said...

I had not been too familiar with Rei Kawakubo before this...am very pleased with that interview!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Sorry for not getting back to you about trading links. I would love to, I've already added you.

3:31 AM  
Blogger riz said...

Rei K for H&M is almost too exciting to BELIEVE! When you first tipped me off to it, I was like no way, you must be mistaken. But lo and behold everyone is talking about it. My bf is so excited it will encompass men's clothing too. I have high hopes

7:19 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

awesome post!!! i love the 3rd picture! very audrey hepburn looking!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Siru said...

I just run to your blog and I love the layout.

juliet xxx

11:54 AM  
Blogger ღ Mey ♥¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨♥ღ said...

uau, nice pics and video!!!!
awsome your blog... kisses

10:07 AM  
Blogger Flashy_Shades said...

weird as it may be, i know precisely what you mean by quiet

a+ work here

2:30 PM  
Blogger EvaAmarri said...

Hey love ur blog. would u like to link?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said...

AIEEEE I'm a mad fangirl of all three so a huge THANK YOU for this!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Mónica said...

Wow, the video is amazing! thanks for sharing it!

12:59 AM  
Blogger dulcegal said...

i just adore your blog,i like a lot this last pictures here! ;)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Diana Coronado said...

Absolutely fabulous !!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker